Student Financial Responsibility FAQs

What is the Student Financial Responsibility Agreement?

The Student Financial Responsibility Agreement informs students of the financial responsibilities associated with enrolling in classes, and explains the potential consequences that may be taken if a student fails to meet those obligations.

Why do I have to complete the Student Financial Responsibility Agreement?

Our goal is to help our students understand the cost of their education and the financial policies associated with their enrollment at Westfield State University.  The SFRA, in conjunction with our website, student statement, letters and other documentation, helps define the University's expectations for payment, and allows us to clearly inform students of our policies related to billing, late payment penalties, contact methods, etc.

Can I complete the SFRA with a staff member on hard copy?

The SFRA must be completed online.  If students need additional assistance, they can visit Student Accounts, located in the Horace Mann Building, 1st Floor.  A staff member will be happy to assist the student at the kiosk located in our lobby.

Why do I have to do this every semester?

Each semester's registration is considered to be a separate commitment for which a student must accept financial responsibility.

Do other institutions do this?

Yes.  It is common practice among higher education institutions across the United States and it is consistent with the national movement to increase financial literacy among college students.

What happens if I refuse to sign the Student Financial Responsibility Agreement?

The SFRA agreemnt provides vital account information and potential consequences for non-payment.  If a student chooses not to complete the SFRA, they will not be permitted to enroll for classes.  Once the SFRA is completed for the semester, the restriction will be removed and the student will be able to proceed with registration.  Students with concerns about this policy are encouraged to contact Student Accounts at, or (413) 572-8538.

My parents pay my tuition. Can they complete the SFRA?

No. While payment by a third-party is acceptable, it is the enrolled student who is ultimately responsible for agreeing to the terms and conditions of the SFRA.  Parents are welcome to view the SFRA.

What if I have financial aid/scholarship and/or third-party payments?

Because certain eligibility is required and must be maintained in order to have the cost of attending WSU covered by other means, students who have their cost of attendance paid by scholarship, sponsorship, or other third-parties are ultimately responsible for these costs and must accept the terms of the SFRA each semester.

I accepted the SFRA, but still can't register. What should I do?

First, check to see if you have any active holds on your account via MyWestfield.  Students are also encouraged to view the registration schedule provided by the Registrar for more information regarding important related dates and requirements.